- 250g/9oz split red lentils
- 2 tbspn vegetable oil, plus 1 tsp extra
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 400g/14oz can tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 14ml/14 fl oz vegetable stock or water
- 2 tbspns tomato paste or tomato sauce
- pinch each of dried oregano, thyme and basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125g/4oz dried whole-wheat lasagne
- 1½ quantity cheese sauce
- 50g/2oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for 10 minutes. Add the garlic , lentils, pepper, tomatoes, bay leaf, and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 45 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Remove the bay leaf, add the tomato paste/sauce and herbs, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, cook the lasagne in a very large pan of boiling water, with 1 teaspoon oil added to it, for about 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain rinse under cold running water, then leave to drain on absorbent paper.
4. Put a layer of the lentil mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and cover with some pieces of lasagne; follow this with another layer of the lentil mixture, then more lasagne and any remaining lentil mixture. Pour the cheese sauce over the top and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.